So today Zachary saw the orthodontist. He sees him again next week for a "study" where they take molds of the teeth and any additional x-rays or pictures they might need. After that, as I understand it, we'll go back again and the orthodontist will install a palate spreader that will gradually spread the palate over about six months, while at the same time (or a date soon thereafter) they'll start installing the braces. So we'll probably be going there fairly regularly over the next few months.
The next step is to see whether the oral surgeon needs to do any extractions or bone grafting. We're certain on the extractions - they've said they would need to go ahead and remove his wisdom teeth - but on the bone grafting, we have yet to know for certain whether he'll need that or not. So I guess we'll be going back to the oral surgeon soon as well.
I realize this might be kinda confusing, so remember there are 3 doctors:
Oral Surgeon - Dr. Cruz
ENT - Dr. Rowin
Orthodontist - Dr. Adame
The ENT is going to work on Zachary's nose this summer (I think) - yet another project to coordinate. :-)
For now, I do believe the insurance will cover the ENT's procedures under my medical plan; I've found out that my dental insurance may very well cover 25% of the orthodontic work; so now I have to find out whether the work that the oral surgeon does can be filed under medical or dental. Hopefully there will be at least some coverage there, but even if there's not, all of these physicians have all stated that they'd "work with me." There seems to be some sincere compassion for the situation. Yes, I may have some bills to pay, but we're all doing our part to make Zachary's life better.
So far we've done a pretty good job. Now it's time to bring in the professionals.
Here's a picture of some professional soft drink salesmen, circa 2002. :-)
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment